Chicago Sexual Harassment Attorney
What Can You Do if You are Being Harassed?
The Law Offices of Ross J. Peters, Ltd. is a leader among employment law firms in the Chicago area. Attorney Ross J. Peters is a top-rated lawyer who cares about his clients. He has a passion for helping clients overcome tough workplace situations such as sexual harassment and discrimination.
Mr. Peters has over 18 years of experience in handling employment law matters. He empowers his clients to effectively fight for and protect their right to work in a lawful work environment free from discrimination or harassment based on physical characteristics such as sex, gender and sexual orientation.
So What Do You Do?
If you are being harassed, you are encouraged to be assertive and tell the harasser that his/her advances are unwelcome. You can choose to explain your stance verbally to the appropriate person in the Human Relations Department or to a manager by written or electronic communication. Verbal communication can be hard to prove in court. Electronic communication must be preserved. If you choose to send a letter, keep a copy of it and be sure to send it by certified mail so that you will have a record of receipt.
If you perceive that you are in danger, you must evaluate the best way to fight back. Do not put yourself in a situation where you could be physically harmed or assaulted. Remember, you can always call the police. Attorney Ross J. Peters has helped hundreds of clients with employment law matters and will seek your best interests throughout the claim process. Call him at the earliest stage possible.
Protect Your Rights in the Workplace
The following can empower you to create a pleasant working environment for yourself and your co-workers. By refusing to tolerate unlawful employment practices and being aware of your civil rights, your actions can help prevent the creation or sustainment of hostile work environments.
- Get Educated – Become familiar with sexual harassment policies in your workplace. If you are not sure where to find the policies, ask for help. Many times they are included in employee guides or on employee internet sites. Your human resources contact is a great resource for tracking down such policies. Also, you can look up the Illinois Department of Human Rights and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on the internet.
- Promote Accessibility – Once you know where to find those policies, talk to your fellow co-workers about how to access them. Encourage your fellow employees to take the time to read the policies.
- Be a Volunteer – Offer your services to your employer to help build a culture of awareness at work.
- Communicate Openly – If you experience sexual harassment, stand up for your civil rights. Say no to unlawful treatment. If possible, follow the chain of command properly to report the behavior and let the appropriate person know what you are experiencing. Be clear on your goals and ask questions about the steps in the process so you are fully aware of what to expect.
- Hire an Attorney – Do not hesitate to involve Attorney Ross J. Peters at the earliest possible stage. He knows how to help you achieve your goals for favorable outcomes in sexual harassment matters.
Contact Attorney Ross J. Peters today to schedule an appointment concerning your sexual harassment matter. He serves clients throughout Lake County, Cook County, McHenry County, DuPage County, Will County, Boone County, and Winnebago County. Appointments can be made at a location near you. Please call 312-595-9595, 847-625-1854 or 888-531-7400 today.