Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Skokie, IL
Cook County and Lake County Attorney Advocating for Your Rights
The Law Offices of Ross J. Peters, Ltd. is a leading law firm, dedicated to fighting sexual harassment in the workplace. The firm represents Skokie employees in all stages of litigation and has successfully obtained millions of dollars on behalf of the firm’s clients. If you have experienced sexual harassment at your current or former workplace, contact us today.
Unlawful Sexual Conduct in Skokie
Sexual harassment is a broad term that encompasses a variety of behavior. The Illinois Human Rights Act defines sexual harassment as any unwelcome request for sexual favors, sexual advance, or other sexually related conduct if:
- submitting to the request or conduct is a condition of employment; or,
- an employee is punished or rewarded for rejecting or submitting to the sexually related request or conduct;
- or, the sexually related conduct creates a work environment that is hostile, or significantly interferes with an employee’s work performance.
Indicia of Sexual Harassment
There are many types of conduct that can amount to sexual harassment in the workplace. While each case is different, common examples of behavior that may amount to sexual harassment include:
- Unwanted sexual advances
- Requests for sexual favors
- Physical conduct (touching, assault, battery, impeding or blocking movement)
- Verbal conduct (making /using derogatory comments, epithets, slurs and “jokes”)
- Submission to or rejection of sexual harassment being used as a basis for employment decisions
- Sexual imposition
- Seductive behavior
- Sexual bribery
In sexual harassment cases, the unlawful conduct often takes the form of a quid pro quo scenario or a hostile work environment. The term “quid pro quo” includes a scenario in which a manager or supervisor offers an employee some benefit, such as a promotion, or threatens some negative action, such as a reduction in hours, in connection with a sexually related request. In addition to explicit quid pro quo proposals, implicit proposals are also forbidden under the law.
A hostile work environment includes a scenario in which sexually related conduct creates an oppressive work environment. A hostile work environment can be caused by co-workers or supervisors/management.
Do Not Hesitate to Contact a Skokie Sexual Harassment Lawyer
If you have any experienced behavior that may amount to sexual harassment, it is important that you seek legal counsel. With over twenty years of experience, attorney Ross J. Peters and his staff skillfully and diligently represent clients in all types of employment matters. Contact The Law Offices of Ross J. Peters, Ltd. today.